Thinking of starting or just started a career in cybersecurity and you are looking for mentors who have been veterans in the field to provide you guidance on what you can do in this new exciting career?
Introducing the (ISC)2 SG Mentorship Program in Singapore, we are calling for young talents who are seeking for guidance in their new cybersecurity career. At the same time, we are also on the lookout for (ISC)2 SG veterans who are willing to provide domain expertise training to our young cybersecurity talents.
What are we looking for:
- Mentees from the public within the age group of 25 to 35. working adults who are new or intend to embark on the cybersecurity career.
- Experienced and certified cybersecurity professionals from the (ISC)2 SG community and members in Singapore who are willing to be mentors.
Program Registration Period:
15 Mar to 31 Mar 2021
Period of mentorship:
6 months mentorship from 1 May to 31 October 2021.
Values Proposition for Mentees:
- Ability to achieve a set goal, investment in self development guided by a senior professional.
- Active steps in upskilling themselves and getting ready for their next step professionally.
- Ability to be connected with cybersecurity professionals
Values Proposition for Mentors:
- Developing coaching and leadership skills to efficiently groom future talent.
- Personal branding as “mentor” to lift profile.
- Learning from younger talent during interactions.
Eligibility criteria for Mentees:
● Mentee to be physically based in Singapore at the time of application and throughout the mentorship programme (1 May 2021 to 31 October 2021).
● Mentee to be a working adult between age 25-35.
● Mentee to join the (ISC)2 SG Chapter (Associate membership, ~30 SGD/year or Professional membership ~50 SGD/year) upon acceptance to the Programme.
● Mentee to be committed to start and complete the programme, attend the briefing, checkpoint and completion meetings; and schedule at least 3 (recommended up to 6) meetings with their mentor (virtual or face to face).
● Mentee to be willing to give back to the (ISC)2 SG Chapter and Community after completing the Mentorship programme.
Eligibility criteria for Mentors:
● Mentor to be physically based in Singapore at the time of application and throughout the mentorship programme (1 May 2021 to 31 October 2021).
● Mentor to be an (ISC)2 Singapore Chapter member in good standing at the time of the application and throughout the programme
● Mentor to be committed to start and complete the programme, attend the briefing, checkpoint and completion meetings; and make time for at least 3 (recommended up to 6) meeting with their mentee (virtual or face to face).
● Mentor to be willing to give back to the (ISC)2 SG Community after completing the programme
If you are interested to participate in the program, please kindly fill up the following forms, whichever is applicable to you. Please note that both mentees and mentors are selected based on a first-come-first-serve basis and acceptance into the program is decided by the (ISC)2 Singapore Chapter Committee members.
Kick off Meeting:
Below is the expected schedule of the kick off meeting.
3 May 7 pm to 8 pm: Kick-off meeting of the Mentorship Programme for all Mentors and Mentees, with Welcome Address from the President (ISC)2 Singapore Chapter
4 May 7 pm to 8 pm:: Dedicated briefing for all Mentors
5 May 7 pm to 8 pm: Dedicated briefing for all Mentees
Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Q: I am not a member of (ISC)2 SG Chapter, can I join the Mentorship Programme?
A: Yes you can! However we will ask you to commit to join as an Associate Member (30 SGD/year) or Professional Member (50 SGD/year) if you are accepted to the Mentorship Programme.
Q: I am not CISSP certified, can I join the Mentorship Programme?
A: Yes you can! In this case, we will ask you to commit to join as an Associate Member (30 SGD/year).
Q: Is there any additional cost to the Mentorship Programme, other than the (ISC)2 membership?
A: No further cost! The Mentorship Programme is volunteer- based, and meant to stringent the ties of the cybersecurity and technology community.
Q: How much time commitment is the Mentorship Programmes for mentees and mentors?
A: Both mentors and mentees will be asked to join the Programme Kick Off meeting, the Mentor/Mentee briefing, the Mid-way Checkpoint and the Closing Ceremony; these will take ~1 hour adding up to 4 hours. Additionally, all participants will organise 1:1 meetings with their matched mentor or mentee. We recommend at least 3 meetings during the 6 months period, and up to 6 meetings is recommended. Each mentor/mentee meeting will take about an hour.
Q: I have never mentored or I was never being mentored, I am not sure of the process.
A: No problem! Upon the start of the programme, we will provide both mentors and mentees with a dedicated group briefing where we will share best practices about mentoring. Should you need further advice, you can always reach out to us.
Q: I am a working adult but I never worked in cybersecurity and want to make a switch. Is the Mentorship Programme right for me?
A: Yes, we encourage people without prior cybersecurity experience to join the programme. Mentees will be able to tap on the knowledge of experienced mentors who can guide them during their career pivot.
Q: What can I expect from the Mentorship Programme?
A: As a mentee, you will be asked to set a goal for yourself, and leverage the knowledge and expertise of your mentor to help you navigate and achieve it. Like in any mentorship programme, the more you invest yourself in it, the more you will get out of it.
As a mentor, you will be sharpening your coaching and leadership skills and pay it forward for the community, as well as meeting new people to expand your network.
For any queries about the program, please drop an email to (ISC)2 SG Chapter (firstname.lastname@example.org).